You want to be remembered for your positive answers not the ones you answer inappropriately. Take a look at true but unsuccessful answers to typical interview questions.
Sample Worst Answers to Interview Questions:
So, tell me a little about yourself.
- “there really isn’t much to tell.”
- “I’m really not all that interesting.”
- “I haven’t done much yet.”
- “Well, I was born in xx and went to elementary school….. 5 minutes later the candidate is still babbling and the interviewer has completely glazed over.”
- “My life really started going downhill when my parents got divorced when I was a teenager. They really ruined my life.”
- “once I joined AA my life started getting better”
- “After I beat cancer for the second time…”
- “I’m married, I have three kids ages 3, 5 and 7…”
Why do you want to leave your current job?
- “they don’t pay me enough”
- “they expect me to work too many hours”
- “my boss is a jerk (idiot, etc.)”
- “my colleagues are all idiots”
- “they don’t know what they are doing there”
- “the company is on the brink of bankruptcy”
- “I think they are probably doing some illegal things”
- “I’m bored out of my mind”
- “they don’t give me things that I like to do”
- “After six months of doing the same thing every day, I’m ready for a change”
- “I need more flexibility to handle my kids activities after school”
What interests you about this company?
- “I don’t know anything about the company but figured why not apply since I really need a job.”
- “My friend works here”
- “I heard you pay well”
- “I need the benefits”
- “It is close to home”
- “it is a recognizable name so it would look good on my resume”
- “I really like your product.”